Want to join the #BBFBookHunt?
WHAT is #BBFBookHunt
In October, the BBF—with the help of people like Y-O-U—will hide books all over the city of Boston for eager readers to find for keeps. Clues will be posted by @BostonBookFest on Twitter using #BBFBookHunt and #BBF2020 and feature authors presenting at BBF Online from October 5-25.
WHY we #BBFBookHunt
The social media takeover on Twitter will build awareness online about the upcoming BBF by promoting authors presenting at the festival, plus getting readers and potential attendees engaged with a hands-on hunt.
HOW to #BBFBookHunt
Here is where you come in: As part of the Boston Book Festival’s extended team, you can sign up to hide a book in a convenient neighborhood. SIGN UP HERE. In advance of the #BBFBookHunt, you will pick up a book package. The package will be ready-to-hide and include a book, a letter to the finder, and BBF marketing collateral with details about the festival.
Below are some tips for hiding your book and coming up with the perfect clue!
Hiding a #BBFBookHunt Book
- STEP 1: Pick up your book package from one of the pick-up locations. Choose time/location here.
- STEP 2: Find a hiding place. Picking a great location is crucial! Some best practices are to choose a relatively weather-resistant location (think under a park bench or in a bus shelter), one open to the public, and one with no admission charge. Bonus points if yours has an iconic Boston feature as its clue!
- STEP 3: Hide your book package. The social media takeover is planned for Thursday, October 1 and Friday, October 2. Please hide your book package either Wednesday evening or by midday Thursday, depending on what works best with your schedule. You don’t need to worry about people finding books “early” on Wednesday night—we just don’t want the books sitting out in the elements for too long! Is your book hidden? Good! However, don’t leave your hiding spot just yet. Remember to…
- STEP 4: Snap a picture! Take a picture of your book and the general area it is in. We want to get hunters excited! So show off that beautiful cover art, or whichever one of our iconic authors it is, or whatever flashy title it has.
- STEP 5: POST! This is your time to shine on social media. We want to keep all posts on Twitter (Instagram is OK, too!). Post as soon as you hide the book. The most important thing to include in your post is our hashtags, #BBFBookHunt and #BBF2020. That is how we will find your posts and retweet them from our @bostonbookfest account. Your post should include our Twitter handle, @BostonBookFest, and feel free to include the BOOK TITLE (in all caps) and a fun clue, as well! Click here to view some sample posts.
Reach out to Carlin Carr, director of operations and outreach, at firstname.lastname@example.org.